Disaster Services | Dinosaurvalley.com
Disaster Services


How do I Apply for a Development and/or Sign Placement Permit?

  • First, complete the online Development Permit Application Form
  • Upload all required documents with your online application.
  • Once you have submitted your online permit application you will be contacted by our development office. 

It is important to note that you are also required to acquire a permit for portable sign, both portable and otherwise.

NOTE: PLEASE BE AWARE THE COMPLETION OF THIS FORM DOES NOT DEEM THE APPLICATION COMPLETE. THIS IS NOT A BUILDING PERMIT (Such permit must be obtained separately). The applicant is not excused from complying with the requirements of any federal, provincial or other municipal legislation, or the conditions of any easement, covenant, building scheme or agreement affecting the building or land.

For more information, please call us at (403) 823-1310 and our development officer will be there to assist you. 
Our office is opened 8:00am - 4:30pm Monday through Friday.

See  2019 Development fees


What is a development permit?

Development Permits are issued by the Town to confirm that the proposed development meets the requirements of our Land-use By-law (LUB) and all statutory planning documents.

Should a Development Permit require a relaxation or is a discretionary use, the development permit will be reviewed by the Municipal Planning Commission.

In the case of a discretionary use a development permit will be issued if the development authority is satisfied that the development meets the intent of the land use district, complies with other relevant statutory plans, is compatible with surrounding lands, and is connected to appropriate infrastructure.

When is a development permit required?

A development permit is required for the following undertakings: 

  • Construction of a new building, or construction of a temporary structure;
  • Altering, renovating or adding to an existing building – deck, basement development;
  • Changing the use or intensity of use of an existing building;
  • Construction of an accessory building – detached garage, carport or shed
  • For any discretionary use of a property
  • Relocations of buildings
  • Demolitions
  • Signage
  • For new businesses – including home businesses

Unsure if you need a development permit? Please contact our Development Officer.

Notably, a development permit is not the same as a building permit. You may also require a building permit for your project.

See Building Permits or check with the development authority. 


Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, MPC meetings will now be held virtually. If you would like to view or participate in a meeting, please contact development@drumheller.ca or 403-823-1310.

The Planning and Safety Codes Department is responsible for long-range land use planning, subdivisions, development approval and safety code permits.

All processes are in accordance with our By-laws, Policies, Procedures and Regulations, as well as the relevant provisions of the Municipal Government Act and the Safety Codes Act of Alberta.

The Town of Drumheller partners with Palliser Regional Municipal Services to provide professional planning and regional safety codes services to multiple municipalities within the organization.

For more information, please consult these documents:

The Town of Drumheller provides safety code permits for our community as well as the 26 municipalities within Palliser Regional Services Membership.

The following sections provide more detailed information on each discipline: 

Subdivision and Land-use By-law Amendments

For subdivision applications or inquiries, please refer to the following forms and applications.

 Please forward your submissions to:

 Palliser Regional Municipal Services 

115 Palliser Trail, P.O. Drawer 1900

Hanna, Alberta, T0J 1P0

Phone: 1-877-854-3371 | Fax: (403) 854-4684

For more information you can consult Palliser's or the Town's interactive maps. 

 For inquiries about developments, please contact our Development Officer at (403) 823-1310.


Covid 19 situation is changing rapidly please check back for further details. Learn more at Drumheller.ca/covid